This 1 Thing Could Change Discipleship Forever!

3efd8__silhouettes-sun-3Within the Church there is much talk of Making Disciples, Disciples Making Disciples, Disciple Making Cultures, and Movements. It struck me that most of this talk occurs indoors?  What if the Church were to reverse this trend?  What if we simply strove to take Disciple Making outside?  What if we primarily did it outdoors?  Would that change discipleship forever?

~

Ladies and Gentlemen…

Discipleship, Let’s Take it Outside!

For related posts, see:

Did Jesus have Discipleship Classes?

1. Mark Guinn January 4, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Interesting thought. Are you literally talking about meeting with folks we’re discipling in public places? Or just more generally the idea the teaching people to follow Jesus happens everywhere, all the time, even before conversion? Or that talk of making disciples should make up more of the public dialog of christians than, say politics or church growth?

Assuming the former, I like the idea and have done some amount of this in a pub setting with just guys sitting around a table. I think some issues are going to be tough to talk about in a pub, though. Probably the exact ones that need to be opened up. On the whole, I agree that we should do more of that though, even if it’s more in the context of bringing folks with us in the day to day hanging out and in mission.

I’d love to hear more about what that looks like for you though.

• Miguel January 4, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Mark,

The latter. It occurs to me that most of what the church calls discipleship happens behind closed doors, inside, and within room constructs. We invite people to go to a place where they can get discipled. I’m not saying that it can’t happen indoors, but I am saying that if we shifted our gears a bit and intentionally went out into the world, it would make a huge difference. And yes, I do believe we can “disciple” unbelievers.

As to what it looks like for me, besides having a weekly “discipleship group” meeting in our home, we are out and about in a different community, village, or neighborhood, almost every day. We never really know under what conditions we’ll find folks in or in what action. So, if it means entering a home, great! If it means helping to milk the cow, carrying a load, cutting weeds, or long walks, then that’s great too. Personally, i prefer the latter.

• Mark Guinn January 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

Thanks for the clarification, man. I like it.

2. Marshall January 4, 2013 at 11:11 am #

to truly bring “making disciples” around, it is needful to take it “24/7″ like Jesus does. Proximity is far more significant than location.

• Miguel January 4, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Marshall,

In theory, I would agree with you. But 24/7 Discipleship in the manner that Jesus did it is nearly a pragmatic impossibility in today’s culture. Jesus left his carpentry job and gathered up 12 other guys who gave up there jobs to disciple them. Who can do that today?

• Marshall January 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Miguel,
          If it was good enough for Jesus, fishermen, publicans, why not for you and me? Have you not also left nets at the shoreline in order that you might follow Him?
          I am watching as the years go by, the Spirit of Christ wrestling to gently-though-insistently extract men from the cares of this world, that they might follow The Lamb and be saved. It’s a beautiful thing! But, oh how some men may struggle to maintain what they cannot keep!
          Paul wrote in mention to the ekklesia at Corinth of “touching lightly” or “as if not” [I Corinthians 7], which should be sufficient for us regarding the things of this world.
          Here is Anaheim (Los Angeles area), the world is heavily pressing men to believe that they must have many things, and that these at absurd price! But it is a lie, and we ought make effort to lead wives & children all away from various cultural snares such as materialism or dependence with the many gods (elohim; powerful entities) of this world. Having done this, making disciples can advance as a rightful occupation for any man in Christ.

3. Kirk Stephens January 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Being intentional, in all that you do and say, creates curiosity, which creates disciples. Whether in the grocery or convenience store, at work, or with the homeless, be intentional for the sake of the kingdom. And whatever your hands find to do, do with all your might as unto the Lord. I shall bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth. If we are continually seeking, others might want to join us, because of the joy they see in us. Easier said than done, but we have been promised that the work the Lord began in us, He will finish. He wants us to be Holy like He is, in fact He gave us His Holiness, to share just as He did. To follow in His footsteps. to present our bodies as a living sacrifice.

4. David Woods January 4, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Reminds me of this YouTube video. If you haven’t seen it yet, you’ll probably like it. I love it.

• David Woods January 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Wow. I didn’t know it would put it right up on the page, I thought it would just make a link. I hope I didn’t overstep my bounds here. Feel free to remove it if I did Miguel. I do hope you like it though. It’s not mine, I don’t know where it came from, but I bookmarked it, and watch it from time to time.

5. Carol January 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Yes, how is it we’ve missed this? And miss it we have. Many of us grow so comfortable in our own four walls that we have no relationships with or empathy for our neighbors. We talk about “the walk,” but fail to recognize the literal need to beat the path. Think of the conversation and relationship building that occurred on “the way.” The opportunities to “be” together. Subdivisions of castles with folks all pretty much the same demographically, that address our every need, are much different than the neighborhood where I grew up, with a diverse population (age, income, occupation, stage of life, etc.). How many folks drive into their garage, close the door, go inside for dinner, turn on the tube, and then start all over the next day? We prayer-walked the at risk neighborhood with our two ministry partners (okay, they were beagles and didn’t say a word–hmmm) for almost half a year, just meeting folks, kids. Was invaluable.

6. Carol January 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

And David, I LOVE that video snippet. I hadn’t watched it in awhile and so appreciate being able to see it again. So thanks.