This post will initiate a series on Short-Term missions. It will cover what to pack for your trip. No, not physical items such as bug repellent and hand sanitizer, but spiritual attitudes, concepts, and ideas. I’d like to begin the series with these “Constructive Attitudes to Take with Me on the Mission Field.” I’m not sure who wrote these initially, but these were given to me by a person who came to do short term missions with us (Pathways International) in the Cloud Forest Region of Ecuador.
“Certainly, the aroma of Christ (2 Cor. 2:15) should over power the scent of our bug spray and hand sanitizer.” ~ Miguel Labrador
1. I will give away all my rights, they belong to the Lord anyway.
2. I will not become bitter or discouraged if any of my rights, privileges, and responsibilities are taken away.
3. I will resist the temptation to have the answer for everything on any subject.
4. I will not play the role of the wealthy provider.
5. I will cheerfully adjust, change, or drop my planned program to meet the local needs and fit into the local context.
6. I will consult and support local leaders and believers.
7. I will seek to live and work in a way that reflects Christ living in me.
I would invite you to take a moment to add to these or comment below.