A Frameless Evangelism Framework.

This a framework, not a fixture.  What do you think? I’d appreciate any feedback.

1. Esther April 14, 2012 at 10:39 am #

I like the simplicity of this diagram.

I guess my first thought is, what is the definition of “the gospel”? I agree with the definition that Jesus himself is the Gospel, meaning we declare He is the Lord and Master over all His creation. We are the expression of Him in the earth as we live by His life within us. (I especially like Frank Viola’s blog post on this topic: “Rethinking the Gospel” http://frankviola.org/2012/01/26/thegospel/ )

For sure, most non-Christians are NOT attracted to the gospel when we are trying by our own efforts to be good Christians rather than by living by His life in us. And sometimes church becomes like a club or a concert show, rather than His people gathering as His body. Then it seems to be attractive only to some Christians, but looks like a poor imitation of the world’s entertainment to non-Chrisitians. So I would say, trying to be good isn’t our job, but living by His Spirit within us is. He cleans us and makes who He wants us to be.

His Love is made perfect in us.

If I were to expound on the diagram, I’d add that evangelism must be expressing Christ, not expressing a religion with rules, or even the basics of faith. Luckily (well, it’s actually by design, not luck), we get to be used to love people with God’s love.

It sometimes feels more natural to evangelize by TALKING about doctrines or church, but more humbling just to express His love to people.

I want Him to be, in reality, my Lord and Master, in order to more beautifully and effectually express Him.

• Miguel April 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

Esther, thanks for commenting…

As Frank points out in that article you linked to, “The Gospel,” is not only the person of Christ himself, but also His work and teachings. So, I think we must be careful in reducing the import of the concept and context.

I find it interesting that people always ask for a “definition” of the Gospel rather than just plain asking what the Gospel is.

In my personal search of an answer to this question, I have surmised the following:

(1) There is “the gospel of Jesus Christ” (Mark 1:1; 1 Cor. 9:12) and “the gospel of His Son” (Rom. 1:9)

(2) There is the “gospel of the grace of God” (Acts 20:24)

(3) There is “the gospel of the kingdom” (Matt. 4:23; 9:35; 24:14)

(4) There is “the gospel of peace” (Eph. 6:15)

(5) There is “the eternal or everlasting gospel” (Rev. 14:6)

So, and without complicating the diagram, when I say, “This is the Gospel,” you can be assured that it will, eventually, include all aspects or components of “The Gospel,” as I see it in the New Testament.

2. GaryFPatton April 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

I love it, Miguel!

When you decided about any changes based on the feedback you get, I’d like to be able to use it in my ministry to business people, Muslims and other neighbours in Toronto. We’ll chat when you’re ready if you’re willing.

In meditating on your diagram, I had a thought similar to Esther’s. And I got a picture of a change to suggest. I saw a new object at the bottom, of your chosen shape, with lines coming from both of the side objects. The new object contained the word “Results”. I won’t “sell” the benefits of my suggestion with more words than necessary because I suspect you’ll see them.

Esther could share her and other points using this new object given any “Words of Knowledge” or “Wisdom” that she was getting for, or about, the other with whom she’d be sharing. You’d add what you felt led to share.

If you allow me to use use your trademarked diagram, I’d share at least Romans 6:23 and 1 John 5:11-13 in connection with this box with those whom I’m “loving”! (In case you missed it, I couldn’t resist using my quoted word apropos my response to The Jailer’s comment on your “Like Page” at https://www.facebook.com/Disciple.Making. :-) )

Blessings all;
      Gary in Toronto

3. Miguel April 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Gary,

I would be happy to share this diagram with anyone.

This existed in my mind until yesterday. It is actually based on a manner of evangelism I have used for many years. It’s based on Ezekiel 36

After thinking about how to communicate it more simply, I came up with the following 6 points:

1. This is the Gospel

2. This is what a follower of Jesus Lives like.

3. This is what someone who doesn’t follow Jesus lives like.

4. Which one are you?

5. Which one would you like to be?

6. Repeat steps 1-5 as needed.

Slightly Expanded without giving away too much:

1. This is the Gospel – preach it, live it, demonstrate it.

2. This is what a follower of Jesus looks like:

Rebirth: gift of the New heart by the gospel (1Peter 1:23), evidenced in repentance and faith (Acts 20:21), a thirst for pardon and holiness (Matthew 5:6) and to that end calls on the name of the Lord (Acts 2:21, Romans 10:13)

A Clean Story: forgiveness and righteousness: (Acts 2:38, Romans 5:1) guaranteed by the Spirit (Ephesians 1:13,14)

A Holy Life: obedience to the law (Romans 8:4, Hebrews 10:16,17) through Christ: (John 15:5) by the Spirit (John 7:37-39, Romans 8:1-13, Galatians 5:22-25) against opposition, indwelling sin, (Romans 7:18) and temptation (James 1:12-15) in the way of the Word and prayer (John15:7,1Timothy 4:5, John 17:17, Ephesians 6:18)

3. This is what someone who doesn’t follow Jesus looks like:

A Rebellious Heart Jeremiah 17:9
      A Guilty Story Romans 3:10-18
      An Unholy Life John 15:5

4. Which one are you? – let them do a self analysis. Let’s me know where they think they are.

5. Which one would you like to be? – Shows me if the Spirit has gone before me or “the next step.”

6. Repeat steps 1-5 as needed.” ~ This is where I think your “results” come in. It allows me to examine, prove, or test to see if we’ve gotten any where.

Like I said in my post, this is a framework, not fixture. So I have built in a lot of flexibility.

• GaryFPatton April 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Great stuff, Miguel, and powerful!

I’ll get back to you about a copy of your graphic. I have a copy of what you’ve posted. But, I need a different heading to use it in the way I was thinking.

• Miguel April 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Excellent Gary,

Let me know. I’d love to see how you use it.

4. Jon April 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Hi Miguel,

I like the simplicity, but I have some concerns with the wording or emphasis. It is always hard to put into words a simple process like this. You likely don’t mean it the way I have read it, so bear with me as I try to explain.

By saying “This is what a follower of Christ lives like”, I hope it doesn’t turn legalistic. You may point someone to look at a follower of Christ who dresses a certain way, only listens to certain music, doesn’t drink or dance or chew or go out with guys who do, goes to church every Sunday, gives all their money to a certain organization, etc.

Nothing wrong with any of those things, but a few generations later we have people following these people who live a certain way.

Is there a way we could say “This is who Christ is, lets follow Him together and seek to find out how He wants us to live.” And contrast that with “This is who I would be without Christ guiding me, we’ve all been down that road too many times”.

??

You likely were not suggesting following people, but since you asked for feedback there is my 2 cents.

Oh… :)

I Just read your comment above… my initial concerns are diminished, but I still wonder if it could be worded differently.

Good thoughts. God bless!

• Miguel April 14, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Jon,

Thanks so much for your comment. Admittedly I have been struggling with those words too. Originally, they read, “This is what a follower of Jesus looks like,” and “This is what a non-follower of Jesus looks like,” respectively.

Another brother raised the nearly the same issue as you when he said, “This puts the emphasis on what the follower of Jesus does and thus produces “works” if one is not careful.”

The essence of what you suggested is where I would like to go, but effectively surmising it is another matter.

I’m still wrestling with it. Perhaps after a few more comments, and a little more mediation, I can come up with another way of saying that part.

5. Jon April 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Yeah, my first thought was also that it sounded a bit like basing things on works. And there is value at looking at fruit, so to a degree that’s OK. But historically Christians of many denominations often have focused too much on works and fitting some man made molds.

From looking at the flow with the verses you have, maybe something like: “Some qualities/characteristics of Jesus followers” ??

• Miguel April 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I was thinking about using the word “characteristics,” or something similar. Focusing on their state of being rather than doing. Thanks.

6. J.O. April 30, 2012 at 4:47 am #

Nice diagram!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. “They Believed.” How do you know when someone has believed? | Pathways International - April 17, 2012

[...] My “Evangelism Method.” Yes, it’s this simple. [...]

2. Are the Church’s Discipleship & Evangelism Gears Rusty? A Week’s Worth of Discipleship Questions | Pathways International - April 22, 2012

[...] My “Evangelism Method.” Yes, it’s this simple. [...]

3. The Local Ecclesia (Church) Forms an Evangelism Accord, and Invites You to Help. | Pathways International - May 29, 2012

[...] of study, but all in attendance wanted to continue to discuss evangelism.  As part of  ”A framework of Evangelism,” we desired to draft an “Evangelism Accord.”  This list represents the [...]